Dog/Animal Bites, Slip/Trips, and Falls
According to the CDC each year nearly 4.5 million Americans are bitten by dogs each year, half of these are children. One in five dog bites results in injuries serious enough to require medical attention. 38 U.S. fatal dog attacks occurred in 2012 despite some breeds being regulated.
According to the Humane Society Americans own 83.3 million dogs.
Who is at Risk?
- Children: Among children, the rate of dog bite-related injuries is highest for those ages 5 to 9 years, and children are more likely than adults to receive medical attention for dog bites
- Adult Males: Male adults are more likely than female adults to be bitten.
- People with dogs in their homes: Among children and adults, having a dog in the household is associated with a higher incidence of dog bites. As the number of dogs in the home increases, so does the incidence of dog bites. Adults with two or more dogs in the household are five times more likely to be bitten than those living without dogs at home
- The dog bites vary in severity with the size and bread of dog. The breed that seems to do the most damage due to the strength of their jaws is Pit Bulls.
- Annual data from 2012 shows that 50% (19) of the victims were adults, 21-years and older, and the other half were children, ages 8-years and younger. Of the total children killed by dogs in 2012, 79% (15) were ages 2-years and younger.
When are you able to Sue for a Dog Bite in Florida?
Under Florida law, an owner of an animal who attacks a person is absolutely liable for the injuries sustained by that person. However, is a person trespasses onto another’s property where a sign conspicuously displayed saying "BAD DOG" the property owner would have no liability for a person injured under those circumstances. If a claimant teases or taunts an animal his claim would be barred. Under limited conditions, a property owner can be liable or not only damages but also punitive damages.
Need a Slip/Trip and Fall Lawyer?
Slip and fall accidents are the leading cause of injuries among the older population. Due to its lure for retirement, South Florida has the highest percentage of Americans over the age of 60. For this reason, there are proportionately more slip, fall and trip injuries in South Florida than in other areas of the United States.
Slip and fall attorney Harry Rosen is a leader in representing accident victims who have suffered injuries due to tripping or slipping at a place of business in Florida. He understands the ever-changing personal injury laws of Florida and knows the responsibilities of business to exercise due care in keeping the premises safe for visitors. Injured in a trip and fall accident? Call Mr. Rosen at (954) 895-7925 in Weston for a complimentary consultation.
Florida business owners are required by Florida law to keep the premises free of hazards that could cause someone to slip or trip. Older Americans and young children are especially at risk of falling. Some of the most common causes of slip and fall accidents are spilled liquid, ladders left out, boxes on the floor, or spilled food. Recently Mr. Rosen represented the same client in two separate trip/slip and fall cases that occurred 20 years apart. In the first case, the client tripped and fell on defective steps in the stairwell of his condominium and in the second case the client slipped and fell in the laundry room of his condominium on the water caused by leaking plumbing fixtures. In both cases, the client received substantial settlements after the suit was filed but before the trial.
Over 9 million people are injured in slip and fall accidents each year according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). One-third of older adults in South Florida are injured in falls each year and many are hospitalized for these types of injuries. Accidents involving slip and falls are the primary cause of death for the elderly. The majority of falls can be prevented by using common sense and taking care of hazards immediately.
An experienced trip and fall lawyer, Harry Rosen will see to it that the responsible party is held accountable for your injuries. Mr. Rosen has been very successful in getting slip and fall victims the compensation they deserve under Florida law. Contact Harry Rosen today at (954) 895-7925 in Weston for a consultation. His proven record of excellence will go a long way towards helping you win your personal injury case.